Here are some made up Frequently Asked Questions concerning this jigsaw puzzle website.
- How do you prevent other players from messing up the pieces?
- Players earn karma points for joining pieces on a puzzle. These points are temporary and only apply to each puzzle. Moving larger groups of pieces deduct these points as well as stacking pieces and other things. If a player gets too low of karma points they are temporarily blocked from moving any more pieces on that puzzle.
- The puzzle page doesn't show any pieces.
- Most likely because the web browser being used is not supported. Please use a more recent version. Supporting less capable browsers is not a top priority at this point.
- What browsers are supported?
- Only recent versions of Google Chrome, Safari, and FireFox are supported. iPhones and iPads running recent version of iOS are also supported. Other touch screen devices that run Android and have the Google Chrome browser should work. I mostly play on a Google Nexus phone which works pretty well on the smaller puzzles.
- Are there any keyboard keys assigned?
- Only the full scale puzzle has keyboard keys assigned to aid navigating
around a puzzle. I haven't implemented keyboard navigation on the scaled
down view of the puzzle.
dkeys will scroll jump in that direction (up, left, down, right)
9keys set a jump point
9keys scroll to a set jump point
zkey will go back to the previous scroll position after going to a jump point
- The design and the user interface for the puzzle page changed. Why?!
- Change is good, and I like to break stuff.
- This project is open source?
- It didn't start off as an open source project when I first started it in 2011. I have recently moved it to being an open source project under the GNU Affero General Public License. I also decided to not include the past git commit history in order to clean up things. Pull Requests are welcome. See the link to the project in the footer.
- What software stack did you use?
- Mostly built with python on the server side; more detail about the stack is on the credits page.
- Where are the ads?
- I think most people don't like ads, including me.
- Can I create my own puzzle?
- You can submit a picture that you would like to become a jigsaw puzzle.
- Bit Icon?
- I suppose this is my own made up thing. The idea is that a bit is like a game piece that is used to signify you as a player. Like being the horse or hat in Monopoly. For Puzzle Massive a bit icon is a somewhat temporary identity that is used while playing. Inactive players will have their bit icon recycled.
- These icons are made by these two artists: Martin Berube and Mackenzie Deragon. I will eventually add more in the future.
- How to login or signup?
- I initially developed this with no login system and only use browser cookies for keeping bit icons. So no login or signup system is in place at the moment. You can use the anonymous login link that is available on the player profile page. View that by clicking on your bit icon in the header.
- How is the project funded?
- I have a PayPal.Me link if you would like to send a one-time donation or bribe ;) for me to fix something. At this point, I have no plans on monetizing any new features. My goal is to just continue hacking away at it as a fun side project and learn new stuff.
- Can I help in other ways?
- Suggest features or submit bug reports.
- Tell your friends and organize puzzle parties.
- Suggest good images to use for new puzzles.
- Hang out in the chat and help new players.
Gain some experience and contribute to the Puzzle Massive project.
- Improve the documentation
- Implement a new feature
- Fix a bug
- Improve the text on the site so it reads better
- Suggest an improvement to the design and function