About Puzzle Massive
The goal of Puzzle Massive is to create a Massively Multiplayer Online Jigsaw Puzzles web site available to anyone with a supported browser (Google Chrome, Safari, etc.).
- All images used for puzzles are hand-picked, and mostly come from Unsplash as well as player submitted images.
- Multiple players can move pieces at the same time for a puzzle.
- Supports anonymous players and option to identify themselves with an icon.
- Players can attain high score bragging rights.
- No ads. Site is supported by awesome patrons on Patreon.
boring history of the project
The idea of an online multiplayer jigsaw puzzle is quite simple; drag a piece from one location to another, see that change happen for everyone else viewing the page. Right, so you save the coordinates after the player moves the piece and publish that to all of the players that are subscribed to that jigsaw puzzle. Handle the complexity of joining pieces... somehow. Oh, and each puzzle piece shape should be randomly generated. Which also means that players should have the ability to create puzzles from any picture they want. Throw in some quick thread handling, so the web application can continue serving requests while a puzzle is generating... and well, it's no longer a simple application.
So, this all started around 2011 as a side project. It's been through a few revisions, but still carries some old ways of doing things. The project is now getting more attention as I'm improving the user interface as well as the server side code.
I am still working on this as a side project and work on it when I can. The upcoming feature list is like a massive jigsaw puzzle that I enjoy working on. Some pieces are simple to join together, and others require more effort.